|VICTORIA STREET (SOUTH)
Route & what to see
Designed to link Buckingham Palace & Belgravia with Whitehall & Westminster Victoria Street was one of the four major streets created in the 19th century. An apt description is 'once lined with second-rate Victorian architecture; now lined with third-rate modern architecture'. The walks avoid Victoria Street itself but instead take in the back streets either to the north or south covering themes of education, housing, healthcare, law & order, industry, transport, religion and leisure. There are places to eat especially pubs along the route. The Methodist Central Hall and Supreme Court have cafes.
The route described from Victoria Station to Westminster is 3¾ miles but you can shorten this by exiting into Wilton Road going via Neathouse Place into Vauxhall Bridge Road and joining the route in Francis Street. It is all pavement walking.
For details of features in UPPER CASE see additional information page
From the station take the
escalator by platform 14 and walk through Victoria Place shops.
Cross Eccleston Bridge and continue along the Colonnade walk.
Halfway along go left through Fountain Square, right into Bullied
Way and left along Elizabeth Bridge.
In Eccleston Square note a blue plaque to Churchill on the right before turning left alongside the central garden (private). The square was built in 1835 by Thomas Cubitt.
Turn right at the end and
first right into Warwick Way.
Originally called Willow Walk, it is worth looking at the mews to either side of this road.
Left into St George's Drive.
The church of St Gabriel was built by Thomas Cundy the Younger in 1853 on Grosvenor land.
Past this turn left and walk
alongside the central garden of Warwick Square. Turn right along
Belgrave Road and left into Churton Street.
Note the attractive Churton Place to the left.
Go left along Tachbrook
Street crossing Warwick Way and continuing along Upper Tachbrook
This follows the line of a tributary of the Tyburn River.
Cross Vauxhall Bridge Road
into Francis Street and first
left into Carlisle Place
Manning House was reconstructed as offices in 1989 but built by HA Darbishire around 1867 as the Guardsmen's Institute. Also in this street are early MANSION BLOCKS.
Right into Ashley Place to
view WESTMINSTER CATHEDRAL. Past this go right down Ambrosden
Properties here were built around 1890 and include a police section house.
Cross into Stillington
Street and left into Greencoat Place.
View the FLATS in Coburg Place to the left and opposite the HOUSING COURT and former shops.
Continue along this street.
The Greencoat Boy pub marks the site of St Margaret's Hospital, which included the SCHOOL and the old TOTHILL BRIDEWELL.
Go right into Greycoat Place to view the GREYCOAT SCHOOL and Fire Station of 1905-6.
Retrace your steps to
On the left is ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH financed by Angela Burdett-Coutts. On the right the former DISPENSARY is marked with a plaque. Beyond this are the UNITED ALMSHOUSES. Further along on the left is a former POLICE STATION and court and opposite a TA Drill Hall.
Left through Walcott Street
into Vincent Square
These are the playing fields of Westminster School, named after a former headmaster.
Go clockwise around the
The police buildings have became part of a residental development. Beyond Vane Street was the EMPIRE PAYING HOSPITAL (now a hotel). On the NE side are Westminster College, designed by Harry Goodhart-Rendel in the 1950s, the ROYAL HORTICULTURAL HALL and ST GEORGE'S HOUSE (No.82).
Left into Maunsel Street.
This was developed from 1823 and was known as New Street until 1939. The gas lamp at the end of the street still has a ladder.
Go right into Regency Street
On the corner is a cafe popular with cabbies
Left along Page Street.
Old cottages were demolished and replaced in 1930 with the chequerboard flats designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Walk through St John's
Gardens to the left.
This was the former burial ground of the church (see information board) and site of THORNE'S BREWERY and WESTMINSTER HOSPITAL at one time.
Cross Horseferry Road into
On the corner premises a plaque records the Fegans Working Boys' Hostel built in 1912.
Go right through Dean Trench
Street into Smith Square.
The former ST JOHN THE EVANGALIST CHURCH is now a concert venue.
Exit along Lord North
There are notices indicating the location of public shelters from WWII.
Cross Great Peter Street and
walk around Cowley Street.
The Liberal Democratic Party occupy a building of 1904-5 built as offices for the North Eastern Railway.
Right at Barton Street
(built in the 1720s).
A house on the left has a blue plaque to T E Lawrence (of Arabia).
Left into Great College
Street and left into Tufton Street.
Note the premises of Wippell & Co and Watts & Co, church furnishers and outfitters.
Go along Little Smith Street and left into Great Smith Street, location of the former LIBRARY and BATHS.
Right along Great Peter
Former GASWORKS site on the left (plaque) and ST MATTHEW'S CHURCH on the right.
Right into Perkins Rents and
right into Old Pye Street.
Site of the RAGGED SCHOOL and PEABODY BUILDINGS.
Left into St Ann's Street.
The Westminster Archives are located in this street.
Right into Abbey Orchard Street, left into Great Smith Street then through the SANCTUARIES
There is a cafe in the basement of Central Hall and toilets under the grass mound in front. The Supreme Court building (the former Middlesex Guildhall) is open to the public on weekdays. Westminster Station (Circle, District & Jubilee lines) is on the far side of Parliament Square. Buses return along Victoria Street to Victoria Station.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2013
[additional information] [blue plaques] [walks list]