A 1½ mile walk from Mansion House Station to Bank Station looking at sites and remains of lost City churches.
In 1666 there were 109 churches in the City of London. Eighty nine of these were destroyed in the Great Fire and only 52 rebuilt, mainly by Sir Christopher Wren. From the late 18th century some churches were lost to rebuilding schemes [satirical print]. As the resident population of the City began to fall so did the church congregations. The Union of Benefices Act of 1860 allowed the London diocese to sell their churches and build new ones in the suburbs with the proceeds. This accounted for the loss of some 22 churches. After WWI a commission recommended the demolition of a further 19 but many famous names lent their support in protest. By 1939 there were 47 churches left but many were damaged in air raids of 1940 & 1941. Three were never rebuilt, four retained only their towers and the remains of St Mary Aldermanbury were relocated to Missouri. There are now 39 churches in the City of which 23 were built by Wren.
Exit station into Garlick
Hill and go along Great St Thomas the Apostle.
ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Mary Aldermary. Its churchyard remained until road widening in 1851.
Continue along Cloak Lane
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST UPON WALBROOK
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Antholin Budge Row. A monument in Cloak Lane records the reinterrment of bones from the churchyard with the construction of the railway in 1884.
Left at Dowgate Hill then
right along Cannon Street
FOR CHURCHES AT CANNON STREET: see East route
Right at Bush Lane, left
along Gophir Lane then right at Suffolk Lane.
ALL HALLOWS THE LESS
Destroyed in Fire and united with All Hallows the Great.
ALL HALLOWS THE GREAT
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Tower removed for road widening in 1876 and replacement built. Remainder demolished in 1894 for brewery. Parish united with St Michael Paternoster Royal. Financed All Hallows Gospel Oak. Replacement tower bombed and demolished post-war for construction of fire station. Chancel screen to St Margaret's Lothbury and other items including figures of Moses and Aaron to St Michael Paternoster Royal.
Right along Upper Thames
Street, going under railway. Right at Dowgate Hill then left
along College Street.
ST MARTIN VINTRY
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Michael Paternoster Royal.
Continue along Skinners
ST MICHAEL QUEENHITHE
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Demolished in 1876 and united with St James Garlickhithe which received fittings. Financed St Michael's Camden Town which received the font. Ship weather vane relocated to St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Right at Little Trinity
Lane, left through Huggin Court, left down Huggin Hill then right
at Upper Thames Street.
ST MARY SOMERSET
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Demolished except for the tower in 1867 and united with St Nicholas Cole Abbey. Financed St Mary Britannia Street, Hoxton which received fittings. Small garden on site.
Go up steps beyond west end
of tower and continue up Lamb Hill.
ST MARY MOUNTHAW
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Mary Somerset. Burial ground destroyed with the construction of Queen Victoria Street.
Left along Queen Victoria
ST PETER PAUL'S WHARF
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Benet Paul's Wharf. St Peter's Hill recalls the church.
Return along Queen Victoria
Street and continue eastwards.
ST MARY MAGDALEN OLD FISH STREET
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Pulled down after a fire in 1886 and united with St Martin Ludgate which received fittings..
ST NICHOLAS OLAVE
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Bear left along Bread
ST MILDRED BREAD STREET
Damaged in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Church destroyed in WWII tower demolished later. A bronze bust and plates to Admiral Arthur Philip, First Governor of Australia, relocated in the garden adjoining 25 Cannon Street.
Left along Cannon Street.
ST MARGARET MOSES
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Mildred Bread Street.
Walk to right through garden
by 25 Cannon Street.
ST JOHN THE EVANGALIST FRIDAY STREET
Destroyed in Fire and united with All Hallows Bread Street. Plaque on 25 Cannon Street.
Right along Watling Street.
ALL HALLOWS BREAD STREET
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Demolished for warehouses in 1876 and united with St Mary le Bow where plaque to John Milton relocated. Pulpit to St Vedast Foster Lane and organ case to St Mary Abchurch. Financed All Hallows Poplar which received fittings.
Left at Bread Street. Cross
Cheapside into Wood Street.
ST PETER WESTCHEAP
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Matthew Friday Street. Churchyard with railings and some tombs remains. Plaque on rear of Cheapside shops.
Walk through to Milk Street
and go right.
ST MARY MAGDALEN MILK STREET
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Lawrence Jewry. Some material used to rebuild St Mary Aldermary. Replaced by Honey Lane Market and City of London School.
Left along Cheapside.
ALL HALLOWS HONEY LANE
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Mary le Bow.
Right at Bow Lane then left
along Queen Victoria Street.
ST ANTHOLIN BUDGE ROW
Destroyed in Fire and rebuilt by Wren. Demolished in 1875 for Queen Victoria Street and united with St Mary Aldermary. Financed St Anthony's Nunhead which received reredos. Tower relocated to garden in Forest Hill.
Left around Pancras Lane.
ST BENET SHEREHOG
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Stephen Walbrook. Churchyard lost on development of No 1 Poultry.
ST PANCRAS SOPER LANE
Destroyed in Fire and united with St Mary le Bow. Burial ground converted to a garden with new benches.
Right at Queen Street then
right at Cheapside.
ST MARY COLECHURCH
Destroyed in Fire and used as site of Mercers' School. United with St Mildred Poultry.
Continue along Poultry.
FOR CHURCHES AT BANK JUNCTION: see East route
Vanished Churches of the Ciy of London by Gordon Huelin
The London Encyclopaedia by Weinreb & Hibbert
Wren's London by Colin Amery
© london-footprints.co.uk 2013