|A Bushy Park Walk with Hampton Court &
Route & what to see
This 5 mile walk begins at Hampton Court Station and finishes at Hampton Wick Station. The gardens of Hampton Court can be visited (see below). Refreshments are available at Hampton Courts Tiltyard Café and the Pheasantry welcome centre. It is a particularly attractive walk in March, when the daffodils are in flower. Bushy Park has rhododendrons in May and is also noted for its chestnut trees.
Consisting originally of Bushy Park, Middle Park and Hare Warren; the property of the Knights Hospitallers it was enclosed by Wolsey in 1514 and surrendered to Henry VIII in 1529.
From the station cross Hampton
Court Bridge and continue to the roundabout. Go left along
Hampton Court Road
On the left are buildings of the Royal Mews and a plaque to Christopher Wren.
Just beyond the car park enter
Bushy Park on the right. Go straight ahead to the Red Bridge (c
To the left along the Lime Avenue is a view of the 18th century White Lodge, the residence of the head keeper.
Cross bridge and enter the
Waterhouse Woodland Garden to the left
This was laid out in the 1920s as a job creation project. The water enabled the planting of a variety of non-native plants.
Take the first turning to the
left. Cross two bridges to a Pond.
Fisher's Pond was created after WWII and is named after Joseph Fisher, the superintendent of Bushy Park.
Walk left into a Heather
Garden. Walk through and cross a stream into the Glade
The water courses are part of the Longford River. This 13 mile canal was designed by Nicholas Lane for Charles I to bring fresh water from the River Colne to Hampton Court Palace.
Turn left over another bridge.
Reaching a gate turn right taking the path alongside the stream
to Waterhouse Pond.
The Waterhouse, which gave its name to the plantation, housed a pump to control the water flow. It was rebuilt in the 19th century and provided mess facilities for the Longford Rivermen. The pond acted as a reservoir.
Continue passing a Waterfall
to the left. Go through to River Lodge
This was first shown on a map of 1898
Just beyond the pond follow the path to the left. After crossing a bridge go left following the stream. Turn left onto the path to the exit ahead
Cross Ash Walk and enter the
Pheasantry Woodland Garden. Follow the pathway through
The gardens were created in the 1950s. Woodland Cottage (private property) is shown on plans of 1851. Triss's Pond is named after the daughter of Joseph Fisher, the park superintendant responsible for designing the gardens.
Further along detour left to access the Pheasantry welcome centre with cafe and toilets.
Exit at the Crocodile Gate
The shape of a fallen oak tree from the hurricane of 1987 gives this its name.
Cross and go right to the
The basin in which it stands is 400' across and 5' deep. The marble fountain, a gift from Charles I to his wife, was moved from the privy garden of Hampton Court in 1713 having originally stood at Somerset House. At this time it was elevated on a Portland Stone base. There are four sirens in bronze, seated astride dolphins, between which is a shell, supported on a scroll. Above the sirens, on a second tier, are seated putti, each holding a fish. The figure (actually of the nymph Arethusa) by Francesco Fanelli has been gilded as part of the repair work.
Follow Chestnut Avenue to the
In the 1690s Wren planned to add the park to Hampton Court and this was intended to provide a new formal approach to the palace.
Exit Bushy Park, cross Hampton
Court Road and enter the palace garden via the Lion Gate
The Wilderness and the gardens to the west are open to all along with the Tiltyard Cafe. There is a charge for the maze and palace. The east gardens are free in the winter months and included in palace admission, otherwise chargeable.
Return to Bushy Park via the
Lion Gate but take the path which bears to the right.
The former lodge of the 1930s is now used by the Royal Parks police.
Aim to the right of the car
park and continue with Heron Pond on your left. At the end of the
pond cross the stream and continue keeping Leg-of-Mutton Pond on
These ponds were formed from the diverted Longford River during the Commonwealth for fishponds.
At the end of this pond join
the tarmac path (Cobblers Walk) and bear right crossing a
Cobblers Walk was re-instated as a public right of way through the action of Timothy Bennet (1679-1756). He had threatened the Park Ranger, the Earl of Halifax, with court action after he closed the path in 1752.
Exit at the Hampton Wick Gate.
There is a memorial to the cobbler and a view of the thatched house.
Right along Park Road
This has a variety of houses. Number 40 is a villa of c1800.
Right at St Johns Road then
left at Church Grove.
The church was built in 1829 and has a vicarage by SS Teulon. Across the main road is the entrance to Hampton Court Home Park.
Cross at the roundabout and go
left along the High Street. Bear right into Lower Teddington Road
Numbers 2 & 8 are early 18th century, number 6 early 19th century and number 4 late 16th century.
Return to the Swan and
continue along the High Street
The former offices of Hampton Wick UDC were built in 1887. Notice the weatherboarded Navigator House on the right
Hampton Wick Station is further along on the right.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2009
Walking London by Andrew Duncan
Walking Londons Parks & Gardens by Geoffrey Young
Buildings and Monuments in the Royal Parks
Rural Walks around Richmond Richmond Ramblers publication
Friends of Bushy and Home Parks [website]
Royal Parks (Bushy Park) [website]
[booklist] [places to visit] [walks list]