A 2¾ mile circular walk from Elephant & Castle Station looking at sites in Walworth associated with Charlie Chaplin.
Exit the station and go
south along Walworth Road. Left into Larcom Street.
C's parents married at St John the Evangalist Church on 22 June 1885.
Left at Brandon Street. Go
up the steps opposite number 46 and left along the walkway.
C attended the Victory Place School aged 4.
Return to and go south along
On their marriage certificate C's parent gave their address as 57 Brandon Street. This was on the east side just south of Larcom Street (rebuilt).
Right at Browning Street and
left along Morecambe Street
Previously called Camden Street where mother was born at number 11.
Right along East Street
C was born here at 8pm on 16 April 1889, probably at his grandfather's boot repairing premises. There is a plaque on a shop at the Walworth Road end of the street.
Cross Walworth Road and go
along Penrose Street. Right along Penton Place. Cross Kennington
Park Road and walk through to Kennington Lane. Go left here then
right at Renfrew Road.
On the right are the remaining buildings of the Lambeth Workhouse [pix]. The boys were separated from their mother and after 3 weeks sent to school in Hanwell. The Cinema Museum housed here has material related to Chaplin.
Return to Kennington Lane
and go left
C tried to sell some old clothes at Newington Butts market but only sold a pair of gaiters for 6d.
Left along Dante Road then
left at Brook Drive. Right via Austral Street into West Square.
The Chaplins lived here after their marriage. They occupied 3 'tastefully furnished' rooms and employed a housemaid.
Exit the square on the far
side and cross St Georges Road into Garden Row. Right at London
The South London Music Hall stood on the site now occupied by the Technopark building. On return from a voyage working on a passenger ship Sydney took C to a show here having bought him new clothes.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2011
[intro] [Kennington route] [additional info] [walkslist]