A 5 mile circular walk from Teddington Station (National Rail). A 7 mile route to include Strawberry Hill (from Strawberry Hill Station) is also available [click here].
From the station go along Victoria Road then left around Clarence Road. At the end go right along Park Road.
Enter Bushy Park at
The Chestnut Avenue was planted in 1699 and the lodge was rebuilt in 1827.
Take the path to the left
parallel with Sandy Lane.
The area to the right was used by the US 8th Army Air Force from 1942 (demolished 1962). It was also the site of Camp Griffiss, General Eisenhower's base for D-Day preparations. A new gate to commemorate this was made in 1994.
Exit at the Sandy Lane Gate
and go along Bushy Park Road opposite, crossing the railway.
Right at Fairfax Road then right at Kingston Road. Left along
There is a partial view of the old hospital building (best seen from across the road).
Further along, opposite the
school, is an entrance to the grounds. Please
ensure you stay on the permissive path as the grounds are private
The Normansfield Hospital was founded in 1868 by Dr J H Langdon-Down as a home for children with Down's Syndrome. A building designed by Rowland Plumbe which included a theatre was added in 1877. This is now home to the Langdon Down Centre Trust. [website]
At the T-junction just past
the children's playground go right. Exit into Broom Road and go
Beyond a conference centre and sports grounds are Teddington Studios. There are a number of (unofficial) blue plaques here.
At the end go right along
Tide End Cottages and the pub were built in the 1820s.
Go on to the footbridge.
This is the limit of the tidal Thames. Teddington Lock was opened in 1811 to improve navigation and the footbridge constructed in 1888.
Return and go around the
chandlers then northwards along the riverside path. Go left
through the park. Exit into Manor Road and go right continuing
along Twickenham Road. Left into Grove Gardens bearing right at
Grove Terrace. Left at The Grove.
There is a charming small park on the left.
At the end take the footpath
on the right into Cambridge Road and go left. First left into
Manor Road then continue around Twickenham Road.
Near the end are some houses in the Voysey style.
Go into the churchyard
St Mary's Church has parts from the 16th century. The north aisle and tower were added in 1753. Across Ferry Lane is St Alban the Martyr in French Gothic style by W Niven. It was built in 1887-9 but never completed and has now been restored for the Landmark Arts Centre.
Go along the High Street.
On the right are cottages of the 1750s. Neighbouring Oak Cottage may be the oldest house in Teddington. Beyond this are houses of the 1860s.
The present King's Head is Victorian but there was a pub of this name mentioned in manor records of 1689 along with the Royal Oak opposite (rebuilt in the 1930s). Other premises on the north side of the High Street date back to the 17th & 18th century with shops added to the fronts. The Kings Arms was formed from three cottages and was first mentioned as a beerhouse in 1861. Old houses behind numbers 49 - 59 were built as Grove Villas c1830.
Left at Field Lane, right at
Gomer Gardens. Right at Blackmore's Grove.
The author RD Blackmore owned a market garden in this area. His house (Gomer House) stood on the site of Doone Close.
Cross Bridgman Road into
Cedar Road. Left at the High Street.
The house on the corner of Vicarage Road was the parsonage house, built in 1837 and sold in 1881. Elmfield House of 1730 was purchased by Teddington UDC in 1895. Behind this was (until 1920) Barclay's Wax Factory.
Detour into Waldegrave Road
to view the library.
This elegant building, funded by Andrew Carnegie was built in 1906.
Cross the High Street into
Station Road to return to the station.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2015