ROUTE & WHAT TO SEE
The walk described is circular from Baker Street Tube Station (Bakerloo, Jubilee, Circle, Hammersmith & Metropolitan lines) but Marylebone and St Johns Wood Stations are on the route together with Maida Vale a short walk away. The distance is about 5 ¾ miles with St Johns Wood Station about halfway. It is possible to split the walk into two shorter routes by taking Aberdeen Place between Edgware Road and Cunningham Place.
Take the Baker Street north
exit from the station
Opposite is Dorset House 1935 Art Deco flats with roof garden
To the right of this block take
Melcombe Street and 2nd right into
Mansion flats and St Cyprians Church 1903 by Ninian Comper.
Left into Park Road
Francis Holland School 1915 in Arts & Crafts style and Steiner Institute 1922-37
Left across Gloucester Place
into Taunton Place and left into Linhope Street
Former Westminster Bank & attractive houses
Left at the top of the road
Notice Huntsworth Mews to the left
Right into Gloucester Place
On the right is Dorset Square 1804 site of the Ist Lords Cricket Ground (marked by plaques)
Go along the south side of the
square and continue along Melcombe Place between the station and
the newly refurbished Landmark Hotel
Marylebone Station is served by Bakerloo and main/surbuban lines and has places for refreshments & toilet facilities. It was built in 1899 by H W Braddock for the Great Central Railway on the Portman Nursery site. An M&S Foodstore occupies the old wood-panelled ticket office.There are some old photographs on display at the side exit into Harewood Street and there are attractive new buildings behind the station.
Continue along Harewood Row,
right into Lisson Grove and first left into Bell Street
Christ Church 1825 by Thomas & Phillip Hardwick is now in office/studio use
Right into Ranston Street
(formerly Charles Street)
Almond & St Botolphs Cottages are Octavia Hill houses of 1895
Right into Ashmill Street (formerly
Jeremy Dixon starter homes built 1988. Houses dated 1824
Left into Lisson Grove
The Social Security offices stand on the site of Spencer, Turner & Boldero's department store and warehouse
Second left into Church Street
Antique shops, local shops, fruit & vegetable and general stalls (toilets). The Church Street Library to the left occupies the site of a former theatre. At the end of the street notice the temporary false buildings including a pub opposite.
Right into Edgware Road, first
right into Boscobel Street, left into Hatton Street
The Spitfire Works was occupied by the Palmer Tyre Co and manufactured aircraft parts during WWII (see plaque). This was redeveloped by Terry Farrell in 1985-8 and includes their architectural practice. Look at the Penfold Street elevation which is totally different and was formerly a furniture factory (now apartments).
Return to and continue along
Notice on the left the Regents Canal which emerges from a tunnel and flows between Maida Avenue and Blomfield Road
Continue along Maida Vale
Edgware Road and Maida Vale have blocks of mansion flats in various styles including Art Deco.
Right into Hall Road, first
left into Hamilton Terrace
This section has stripey houses on the west side & villas on the east
Right into Abercorn Place
(Maida Vale Station Bakerloo line - is to the left)
St Marks Church 1847 by Thomas Cundy. No. 28 was the purpose-built home & studio of artist J J OConnor
Detour right along Abbey Road
The Abbey Road Studios as used by the Beatles is at number 3. The famous zebra crossing is nearby.
Return along Abbey Road, past
Abercorn Place then right into Langford Place
Note the unusual house at number 12 and the attractive Langford Close to the left.
Right into Loudoun Road
The American School in London is on the left and ahead at the end of the road is the Humana Hospital.
Left into Grove End Road,
across Wellington Road
St Johns Wood Underground Station (Jubilee line) 1930s style
Continue along Acacia Road
To the left are the former barracks of the Royal Horse Artillery (previously St Johns Wood Farm site)
Second right into St Anns
Terrace and continue along St Johns Wood High Street where
there are shops and cafes. Right into Wellington Place.
Cabmans Shelter. The old burial ground of St Johns Wood Church is now a public park with toilets, a nature area and views of Lords Cricket ground buildings. The church of 1813 is by Thomas Hardwick. There is a statue of George & the Dragon on the roundabout in front of the church
From this point you can return
to Baker Street by bus from Park Road. To continue the walk take
St Johns Wood Road
There is a sporting bas relief on the corner which was the former site of the Clergy Orphans School
The road continues alongside Lords Cricket Ground of 1814 (on its third site). Notice at the end the WG Grace gates of 1923.
Cross Lisson Grove
Notice in this road the Church of Our Lady (R.C.) 1836 by J Scoles
Next left into Cunningham Place
At the end is Crockers Folly an Arts & Crafts pub of the 1890s
Opposite this take the steps
down to the Regents Canal (signposted to Camden Lock) and follow
the canal towpath
The path passes under a road, look back to note the house built on this bridge. The next section was once the site of fashionable villas but is now lined with houseboats. Take care as this part of the towpath has humps!
After the next bridge the path enters Regents Park where there are new villas by Quinlan Terry on the right
When you come to a footbridge
over the canal take the slope up to the left and cross this
bridge into the park. Take the right fork as the path divides -
Behind the trees to the right is Winfield House the American ambassadors residence
At the toilets go right
crossing two bridges. There is a park café here
From here you can see the London Central Mosque 1977 with its copper dome and minaret
Walk alongside the lake.
Across this you can see the Holme of 1819 one of the original villas designed by Decimus Burton
Just before a footbridge across
the lake there is an exit to the right. Follow the signs back to
There is a Sherlock Holmes Museum (at number 239) and shop on this street. The Abbey National building, which occupies 221, has a plaque and statue.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2015
[introduction] [additional information] [walks list]