ROUTE & WHAT TO SEE
Bold type indicates additional information is available
This walk of 3½ miles starts from Charing Cross Station (Northern, Bakerloo & main line) and finishes near Westminster Abbey between St James's Park & Westminster tube stations. The main things to see are clubs, shops (including 4 arcades) and statues & memorials.
From Charing Cross Station
exit into the Strand, turn left and cross to the subway entrance
by South Africa House. Follow the subway (which past the tube
station is lined with interesting tiles) through to Cockspur
Street. Turn left on exiting and walk right along the Mall and go
up the steps to the right just past ICA.
At the top is the Duke of York's column. Carlton House Terrace replaced the Prince Regent's Carlton House.
Walk through Waterloo Place
There are statues including to explorers Franklin and Scott, Edward VII, Florence Nightingale & the Crimea and others. Also the Athenaeum and Institute of Directors, formerly the United Services Club.
Cross and go left along Pall
Opposite are the Traveller's (106) and Reform (104) Clubs
Right into St James's
Square.Go into the central garden and view information panel.
From the centre exit to the right and continue around the square.
The central statue is to William III and under the horse's hooves is the molehill which indirectly led to William's death. The memorial in the NE corner is to Yvonne Fletcher the young policewoman shot on the site in 1984. Also in the NE corner is the Naval & Military (In & Out) Club, a former home of the Astors and in the NW corner the London Library. At number 16/17 is the East India Club opened in 1850 and now amalgamated with Devonshire, Sports and Public Schools.
Exit by Duke of York Street,
go left into Ormond Yard and continue through into Mason's Yard
(former stable yard to St James's Square)
Mason became a partner in the famous Fortnum & Mason store. The White Cube Gallery replaced an electricty generating station.
Exit left into Duke Street St
James. At the end go right into King Street
Auctioneers Christies premises (galleries are open to the public)
Through Angel Court opposite -
adjacent to the Golden Lion pub
Plaques here commemorate the St James's Theatre associated with Oscar Wilde and others.
Go right into Pall Mall and
first right through Crown Passage
Red Lion pub and rear of Lock's Hatters
Cross King Street into Bury
At the end are the Edwardian premises of Turnbull & Asser, shirtmakers.
Go right into Jermyn Street
and left through the Piccadilly Arcade of 1909. Go right along
On the left is the Royal Academy in Burlington House and the entrance to the Albany. On the right are Fortnum & Mason's store and Hatchard's Bookshop.
Right through Prince's Arcade
of the 1880s and left along Jermyn Street.
Shops of interest include Floris perfumery and Paxton & Whitfield, cheesemongers
James's Church or left along the alley just
The church was built by Wren in 1676-84 and commissioned by Henry Jermyn
Go left along Piccadilly and
cross to Sackville Street to the right. At the end left into Vigo
On the right is Gieves & Hawkes at the corner of Saville Row. Livingstone's body was bought back here when it was the premises of the Royal Geographical Society. On the left is the Albany, gentlemen's chambers of 1803 flanked by two lodges.
Continue along Burlington
Gardens and go left through the Burlington
Built in 1819 London's longest arcade is patrolled by uniformed beadles to ensure its regulations are adhered to.
Right into Piccadilly and
first right up old Bond Street.
This street has expensive shops.
Go through the Royal Arcade of 1880 to the left at number 28
Left down Albemarle Street.
Cross Piccadilly into St James's Street
St James's Street has a number of clubs including White's (37) , Boodle's (28), Brook's (60) & the Carlton (69).
Right at Park Place
Pratt's Club (14) and at the end former St James's Club of 1892. Also Overseas House, home of the Royal Overseas League.
Return to St James's Street.
Next right into Blue Ball Yard
Former stable and coach house buildings of 1741 are now part of the Stafford Hotel.
Return to St James's Street.
Next right into St James's Place
Plaques to Chopin, Sir Francis Chichester & William Huskinsson. Spencer House, built for Earl Spencer was renovated by the Rothschilds.
Return to St James's Street
and continue along the other side of the road
Old shops of Lobbs (shoes), Locks (Hatters) and Berry Bros (Wine Merchants). At the end is St James's Palace.
Take gated Marlborough Road
between the Palace and Marlborough House.
On the left is the Queen's Chapel by Inigo Jones and a memorial to Queen Alexandra
Cross the Mall into St James's
Park. Continue straight ahead crossing over the bridge. Cross
Birdcage Walk and go left along Queen Anne's Gate then Old Queen
Several of these attractive houses with canopied hoods have blue plaques and halfway is a statue of Queen Anne. At the end is the Two Chairmen pub and Cockpit Steps, marking the site of a royal cockpit.
At the end go right along Storey 's Gate to the end of the walk in Broad Sanctuary. The nearest stations are St James's Park reached via Tothill Street or Westminster across Parliament Square. Buses go along Victoria Street to Victoria Station or along Whitehall to Charing Cross. There are toilets under the grass mound and a cafe in the basement of the Methodist Central Hall. On Tuesdays - Thursdays College Garden in Westminster Abbey is open to the public and makes a pleasant place for a picnic.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2009
[introduction] [circular route] [additonal information] [walks list]