|A Ham House Walk
Route & what to see
A 4 mile circular walk from
Richmond Station - served by trains and tube (District line). The
route goes to Ham House along the Thames Path returning via
Petersham and Richmond Hill. Ham House is a National Trust
property [website]. The gardens are open all year 11am to
dusk and the house is open 1-5pm April - October (both are closed
Thurs & Fris in 2004). The Orangery houses a cafe (check
opening times) or there are picnic facilities. There is some
overlap with the Richmond walk.
Note: you are advised to check tide times as the riverside path can become flooded at high tides.
From the station cross Kew
Road and go through to Little Green
This was a former bowling green. On the left is the Richmond Theatre of 1899 designed by Frank Matcham
Continue along Richmond Green
This has been used for tournaments & archery, animal grazing, prize fights and cricket. It is surrounded by distinctive buildings
Go through Paved Court ahead
This has attractive shops and at the end the premises of the Richmond & Twickenham Times
Go left at King Street and
continue along Hill Street. Go right into Heron Square
This development was designed by Quinlan Terry in 1988. It is mostly offices but incorporates Heron House and the former Tower Hotel.
Go through to the riverside
terraces and then left along the Thames Path
There are boathouses and workshops including the premises of Turks.
Continue under Richmond Bridge
This is now the oldest bridge spanning the river having been completed in 1777 to replace a ferry. Tolls were collected until 1859 and the bridge was widened in 1939. Further along is one of London's large trees.
Continue along the river walk
This passes Petersham Meadows and gives a view of Marble Hill House across the river.
At Hammerton's Foot Ferry follow the signposted path across to HAM HOUSE
On exiting the property go right and right again to follow the garden wall. At the end go left along the path
This passes Ham Polo Ground and the German School which occupies Douglas House (1700). It emerges at a lodge building opposite which is the Fox & Duck pub with an 18th century watchman's lock-up alongside.
Go left along Petersham Road
There are some fine houses here including Petersham Lodge (1740), Rutland Lodge (1660), Montrose House and Petersham House (1680). St Peter's Church can be reached via Church Lane. The chancel is 13thc, the nave 16th and the tower 17th. The explorer George Vancouver is buried in the churchyard.
Where the road forks take the
path straight ahead across Petersham Common. At the roundabout go
left down Richmond Hill.
On the left is the Royal Star & Garter Home for disabled ex-servicemen. Nearby Wick House was built in 1772 for Joshua Reynolds by William Chambers. There is a viewing area further along.
The Terrace Gardens to the
left can be explored
These were the grounds of two former houses opened in 1887
Rejoin and continue down
What became the Old Vicarage School was once home to the Houblon sisters who bought and closed down the medicinal wells opposite. These had bought business to the area but became a nuisance. The building was refaced in the popular castelled style in 1809.
Go right at the Vineyard
On the left is St Elizabeth RC Church of 1826 by Philip Hardwick
Go right into Lancaster Park
This has some of Richmond's oldest houses and on the right the attractive Lancaster Cottages
Return to the Vineyard and go
The street has 3 sets of almhouses; Michels of 1811 & 1858, Bishop Duppa's founded in 1661 but rebuilt in 1851 (gateway retained) and Elizabeths (modern rebuild - old plaque).
Where the road bends to the
right go left along Vineyard Path
This runs alongside an overflow to the churchyard
Go left at Paradise Road
On the right are the attractive St James's Cottages
Go through the churchyard to
St Mary Magdalene is the parish church. A guide is available inside.
Go through Lower George Street
to the right
Opposite is a former Fire Station
Go left through Waterloo Place and right at the main road back to the station
© london-footprints.co.uk 2004
The excellent Tourist Information Centre in the Old Town Hall, Richmond has books, maps and details of places of interest open to the public Tel 020 8940 9125. They also have leaflets for self-guide walks or information on guided walks which are available. The Richmond Society has produced 4 trails; Town, Green, Palace & Hill on sale for 50p each. This building also houses the Museum of Richmond and the Riverside Gallery with a changing programme of exhibitions. Admission to both is free.
Richmond and Kew Green - a souvenir guide by Nicholas Reed
Time Out London Walks Vol 2
London Villages by John Wittich
Village London by Andrew Duncan
Walking London by Andrew Duncan
Walking London's Parks & Gardens by Geoffrey Young
Rural Walks Around Richmond by the Richmond Group of the Ramblers Association
[gallery] [places to visit] [booklist] [walks list]