|QUIZ 9 - answers
City Livery Companies and Halls
1. Which company has the newest hall?
The Haberdashers - designed by Michael Hopkins & Partners in 2002
2. Which two companies own swans on the
The Vinters and Dyers - along with the Queen
3. Which company organises the Doggett
Coat & Badge Race?
4. Which company has its hall in Gutter
5. Which company is responsible for Queen
Elizabeth's College in Greenwich?
6. Which company has salamanders as
supporters on its coat of arms?
7. Which company shares a hall with the
The Spectacle Makers - in Blackfriars Lane
8. Why does the Barber Surgeons Hall have
a bow-shaped west side?
The former hall was built into a bastion of the City Wall
9. Who designed the present Salters Hall?
Sir Basil Spence - in 1976
10. What did Loriners deal with?
Bits, Bridles, Stirrups & Spurs etc
11. Of which company was Samuel Pepys
The Clothworkers - in 1677-8
12. Which hall has a terracotta frieze
depicting its company at work?
The Cutlers in Warwick Lane - by Benjamin Creswick
13. Which company has a floating hall?
The Master Mariners - the former sloop HMS Wellington, moored at Temple Stairs
14. Which is the only hall to have its
The Mercers - in Ironmonger Lane
15. The Geffrye Museum displays the
ceiling and panelling from which hall?
The Pewterers - demolished in 1932
16. Which hall is said to be haunted by a
The Tallow Chandlers - on Dowgate Hill
17. Which hall is decorated with
paintings by Sir Frank Brangwyn?
The Skinners - on Dowgate Hill
18. The lost halls of which company are
marked by a plaque at St Paul's Churchyard?
The Cordwainers - last of six destroyed in 1941
19. Which hall is pictured in the header?
The Innholders - in College Street
20. Which company undertakes the Trial of
The Goldsmiths test coins of the realm for purity
Were all your answers correct? if so click here
Read more on the following pages: [Livery companies] [Livery Halls] [Samuel Pepys]
Back to quiz list [click here]