A circular walk from
Woolwich Arsenal Station (also served by DLR)
The railway came to Woolwich in 1849. This 1993 building replaced the 1905 station. A terracotta panel on the platform depicts arsenal workers. To the right in Woolwich New Road was the PULLMAN (1) - demolished. To the left in Vincent Road is the former Bull Tavern - now O'FLYNNS (2)
Walk southwards along
Woolwich New Road
Until 1926 when the line was electrified the grassed area on the right had an open cutting. On the left hand side is the Tramshed of 1908 which became a theatre in the 1970s. Further along on the corner of Anglesea Road is the ANGLESEA ARMS (3). Beyond this on the left is St Peter's Church and Presbytery of the 1840s designed by A W N Pugin
Return towards the Square
and go to the left along Thomas Street
On the left is the GREAT HARRY (4)
Cross and continue along
Thomas Street to the EARL OF CHATHAM (5) then return and go along
The University of Greenwich occupies premises on the right. Further along was the DIRECTOR GENERAL (6) - demolished.
Go right along Market Street
On the right is the Civic Area with the new Town Hall (designed by Sir Alfred Brumwell Thomas in 1903-6), former Baths (1894) - now student's union & Magistrate's Court (1912). Some late 18th century cottages remain on the left along with a health centre and the police station.
Go left along Calderwood
On the right is a former Wesleyan Sunday School building and just beyond the Methodist Chapel of 1816 is now a Sikh Temple
Return along Calderwood
Beyond Market Street on the right are the Carnegie public library (1901) and old town hall building (1842). Beyond Polytechnic Street are the original premises of the Polytechnic founded in 1890.
Cross Powis Street into
Macbean Street and go left at Creton Street
Ahead is Callis Yard built in the 1890s as stabling with a hay loft.
Go right along Bunton
Street, left through the car park, down steps then left along
There is another view of Callis Yard and across the street was the Crown & Cushion Pub (demolished).
Continue along Woolwich High
Street past Ferry Place on the left
Just beyond Hare Street is the former Plaisteds Wine House (7)
Return to and go along Hare
On the right is ROSES/the PRINCE ALBERT (8)
At the end go right along
On the left are the former RACS Stores of 1902 (now partly occupied by a Travelodge). The RACS Art Deco block of 1938 opposite is awaiting redevelopment. At the end of the street are two former cinemas of 1937. The Granada became a Gala Bingo Hall and the building which is now the New Wine church was originally an Odeon, later the Coronet. On the corner between these is the CASTLE TAVERN (9)
Note: if the park is closed
- go around the 'Odeon' to the MITRE then continue as
Cross and go into the park
to the left of the 'Odeon' continuing to the church
The parish church of St Mary Magdalene was one of the churches funded under the 50 Churches Act of 1711 and built between 1727-39 by Deptford bricklayer Matthew Spray. A stained glass window commemorates the 590 people killed in the Princess Alice disaster.
Take the path towards the
river at the east end of the church
The memorial on the right featuring a lion is to the boxer Tom Cribb.
Exit and go right to the
On the right is the MITRE (10) - closed?
Cross ahead then bear left
and cross again towards the river and go down Glass Yard
alongside the Leisure Centre. Continue along the Thames path to
The Free Ferry was opened in 1889 and now uses 3 diesel vessels named after London political leaders. The adjacent Foot Tunnel was built 1909-12 and designed by Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice.
Continue along the River
Bell Water Gate is an old access point to the river. Prison hulks were moored in this section of the river until 1856. Further along a new riverside park has been laid out on the site of Woolwich Power Station. The coaling jetty remains.
Go into the Royal Arsenal
site and walk along to the octagonal guard houses and pier
Standing between the Guard Houses, back to the river, the buildings to the left have been redeveloped for residential use and incorporate the Grand Stores. The building ahead was the Royal Laboratory Offices - now the library & archive of the Royal Artillery Museum. The buildings to the right form New Laboratory Square, housing part of the RA Museum and the Borough Heritage Centre.
Walk ahead along No 1 Avenue
On the left is the Royal Artillery Museum 'Firepower!' in what was the Paper Cartridge Factory. On the right, set back, is Tower Place - the former Officer's Mess. Further along on the right are the remnants of the Laboratory Pavilions. At the end of the avenue on the left is the Dial Arch Block with DIAL ARCH pub and ahead is the Royal Brass Foundry which is used by the National Maritime Museum.
Take the path between these
To the left is the Officers Quarters and Verbruggen's House. Behind the Brass Foundry is the Main Guard House.
Exit through the gates and
cross to the Beresford Gate.
This was built in 1829 as a single storey entrance to the Arsenal and heightened in 1891. It was separated from the main site by the construction of the Plumstead Road.
Go to the left of the gate
along Woolwich New Road
The former Ordnance Arms - now O'CONNORS (11) is on the right
Just past this go right into
This is the site of the market with a charter dating back to 1619. The ELEPHANT & CASTLE (12) is on the left
From the square exit into
Greens End and go left along General Gordon Place back to the
Spanning the north side of General Gordon Place are the former Woolwich Equitable Building Society premises of the 1930s.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2013