walk from Beckenham Junction Station.
Note:The park included closes at dusk. To avoid this/shorten the walk go right along the High Street at the Village Way junction (misses pubs 7 & 8)
the station cross the High Street to ONEILLS (1) and
PATRICKS (2). Cross Albemarle Road to the Green.
This open space was created after WWII bombing, prior to which it was a densely developed area, including the Railway Hotel. There is a 'village sign' and a parish boundary marker that came from another site.
Walk along to the parish
The small village church was rebuilt between 1885-1903. There are some attractive post-war stained glass windows, a number of memorials and a coffin cart. The lychgate is 13th century, repaired in 1924. Across the road is a milestone first erected in 1713.
Turn left into Bromley Road
The restaurant building next to NatWest Bank occupies the site of the Old Manor House, owned by the St John, Cator and Hoare families. It served as council offices until 1932. The adjoining Public Hall was designed by George Vigers in 1883. Next to this was Beckenham's second fire station, built from the manor house stables in 1905. The engine house has been rebuilt as flats but some firemen's houses of 1926 remain. Anthony Rawlins, a city merchant, died in Beckenham in 1694 and left £50 with which the vestry built almshouses. The three cottages have been modernised and still serve as almshouses. Bromley Road infant's school was originally built in 1818 as a National School with 2 classrooms and a master's house. It was extended in 1906.
Continue along Bromley Road
The OAKHILL TAVERN (3) is on the corner of Chancery Lane
Continue past the shops and
turn right into Crescent Road.
There is an old coach house at numbers 2B & 2C
Go first right through Limes
Stanley Cottages were built in 1874
At the end go left down
On the corner is the JOLLY WOODMAN (4) pub. This lane is shown on a map of 1769. The oldest properties are numbers 29-43 including the blacksmith's forge at number 39 which was still operating in 1902. There is a more uniform mid-19th century terrace opposite.
along Wickham Road and first right into Court Downs Road.
At the end of the road is the entrance to Kelsey Park which was part of Kelsey Manor. The grounds were purchased for public use in 1913 and the house demolished in 1921.
Go right along Kelsey Park
Road and left into Burnhill Road
The COACH & HORSES (5) pub is 18th century
Go through Kelsey Square
into the High Street
The barbers on the corner occupies the first fire station premises which had local board offices above. There is a restored pump with a lion's head on this building.
Go left along the High
ZIZZI is a re-vamp of the THREE TUNS (6) pub.
First left into Village Way
(see note above)
The corner chemist's shop stands on the site of the Pavilion Cinema of 1914. The Catholic church, dedicated to St Edmund, was designed by J O'Hanlon in 1937.
Sainsbury's delivery entrance follow the sign into the Recreation
Ground and take the track across the grass to the children's
playground. Then take the path going right towards the exit
alongside the hospital
The park opened to the public in 1891
Go right along Croydon Road
The cottage hospital opened in 1872 with 4 beds and charged patients 6d per day.
Continue to the roundabout
The cinema opened as the Regal in 1930 replacing the Pavilion. It was refurbished and its Art Deco features restored some years ago but the popular ballroom was lost to provide additional screens.
Go right into the High
On the right is the BRICKLAYERS ARMS (7) and a little further along the WHITE HORSE (8) pub.
Continue along the High
Beyond the THREE TUNS (ZIZZI) is the GEORGE INN (9) on the right and SLUG & LETTUCE (10) on the left
Continue to the traffic lights and follow the High Street round to the left back to the station
© london-footprints.co.uk 2013