John Addey - Shipwright 1550-1606
Master shipwright at HM Dockyard
Deptford. He left £200 to the poor of Deptford which was
invested in land on Church Street and provided an income to
maintain schools. The Addey School was built here in 1821 and
enlarged in 1862. It amalgamated with Dean Stanhopes School
and moved to New Cross Road in 1899.
Addey was buried in St Nicholas Church and there are plaques to him on the exterior north wall (see below).
The upper plaques reads:
Near this place rests the body of John Addey of this parish one of the King's master shipwrights who departed this world in assured hope of his ressurection the 16th April AD 1606 age 56. His tomb being demolished this stone was erected at the expense of the parish January 1788.
The lower plaques reads:
The above named
In the lower corners shipwright' s tools are depicted. Above the inscription is a wooden ship.
The name and date of JOHN ADDEY is on a stone laying flat on the other side of the doorway.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2006