DISAPPEARING LONDON

london-footprints.co.uk

The second series of this programme was shown on London TV in January/February 2007

Another webpage offers some info from my knowledge on topics featured in the first series. See also the programme's website

PROGRAMME 1
PADDOCK BUNKER
This secret underground shelter in Brook Road, Neasden was visited by Churchill only once. There are photos and further information on the Derelict London
website. The Cabinet War Rooms at Whitehall are open to the public [website].

POW HUTS
These are located on Peckham Rye. Some are used for changing rooms or storage. The one featured (a listed building) is used by a playgroup. [
Peckham (South) walk]

MARTYNS
The old fashioned grocers still run by the family is in the Broadway, Muswell Hill. Age Exchange in Blackheath Village has some old shop fittings on display [
Blackheath Village walk]. Old shops are also replicated at the Museum of London [website].

PROGRAMME 2
JAMES TAYOR & SON
This shop in Paddington Street still produces hand made shoes on the premises. Another bespoke shoemaker is Lobb on St James's Street [
St James's walk]

FLITTNER
Traditional gentleman's barbers at 86 Moorgate. George F Trumper has a shop in Curzon Street [
Mayfair walk]

F COOKE
Serves the traditional Cockney fare of pie & mash with 'liquor' at 9 Broadway Market, London Fields N8.

HAMPSTEAD OBSERVATORY
Equiped with a six inch refracting telescope this building near Whitestone Pond is open to the public Friday & Saturday 8-10pm and Sunday 11am - 1pm weather permitting. Donations appreciated. [
website] [Hampstead walk]

PROGRAMME 3
MATTHIAES BAKERY & CAFE
The business at 76-84 Kew Road in Richmond closed after 80 years in 2001. The premises are currently empty but have been Grade II listed to protect the Art Deco features [
article]. There is a listing of some Art Deco buildings in London on my webpage.

JAMES SMITH
This shop which sells, among other things, umbrellas has retained its old frontage at 53 New Oxford Street [
website]

WOBURN WALK

The attractive bow-fronted shops built by Thomas Cubitt in 1822 are located behind St Pancras Church [Bloomsbury walk]

FREEMASONS ARMS
The traditional game of skittles is played in the basement of this Hampstead pub and it seems as if they could use some new players! [
Hampstead walk]

MANOR PARK ALLOTMENTS
These are under threat from 2012 Olympics development [
campaign]

KINGSWAY TRAM TUNNEL
This was opened in 1906, adapted for double-decker trams in 1931 and closed after the last tram ran in 1952. There is more info and pix by Nick Catford on Subterranean Britain [
website]

PROGRAMME 4
THE HALF MOON
This Victorian pub in Herne Hill SE24 has retained many original features. It is noted for live music and McKenzie's Boxercise Gym on the first floor. [
website]

BRIXTON WINDMILL
The mill in Blenheim Gardens was operated by John Ashby 1816 - 1860s. It now stands in a small garden. There is a friends organisation but no public access at present [
website].

SHIRLEY WINDMILL (pictured)
The mill off Upper Shirley Road in Croydon was operated from the 1850s to 1892. It now stands in a housing estate. There is a friends organisation and the mill is open for tours some Sunday afternoons. [
website] [Shirley walk]

DENMARK STREET
Known as 'Tin Pan Alley' for its musical connections

TOERAG STUDIOS are in Glynn Road E5 [
website]

PROGRAMME 5
HORSES IN LONDON
An incredible 300,000 horses were once stabled in London! A large complex of stables are now part of Camden Market and a former horse hospital there is now a furniture store. The tunnels which enabled horse traffic to service the canals and railway are at risk from development [
read more].
The livery stables visited are in Elvaston Mews SW7. There are also some in Bathurst Mews [
Bayswater walk]
The statue Street Orderly Boy (crossing sweeper) by D Barcaglia of Milan is in the recreation ground in Paddington Street [
pix]

GARAGES
The Bloomsbury Service Station (built in 1926) is at 9 Store Street WC1

The former Blue Bird Garage in Kings Road Chelsea (pictured) is now a shop and restaurant of the Conran Group [Chelsea walk]

Bailey Horse & Motor Contractors were in Barbon Close opposite Great Ormond Street Hospital [Bloomsbury walk]

NORMANSFIELD HOSPITAL THEATRE
The theatre in Kingston Road, Teddington was used for occupational therapy for residents of the hospital established by Dr John Langdon Down in 1868 for people with learning disabilities. A programme of repair and conservation has been untaken to bring it back into use [
read more].

WALL ADVERTISEMENTS
These 'ghostly' remains can be found all over London. Some are listed on my
webpage.

PROGRAMME 6
FOX UMBRELLAS
The firm was established in 1868 but the shop at 118 London Wall was refurbished in the 1930s.

FULHAM FC
Fulham FC began as a church club in West Kensington in 1879. By the late 1880s the club was looking for a permanent home and took over the riverside site. This had included a small cottage that at one time belonged to the Countess of Craven.
[website]

MUSIC HALLS

HOXTON HALL
This was opened in 1863 as a Music Hall but became a temperance establishment under the Quakers. It now serves as a community venue. Located on Hoxton Street it can also be viewed from Wilks Place. [
website] [Hoxton walk]

WILTONS (pictured)
Wilton's Music Hall opened in 1858 on the site of a pub which had included a concert room. It closed in 1880 to became a Wesleyan Mission Hall (1888 - 1956) then a rag warehouse (until 1966). It was the winner of the London heat of the first 'Restoration' TV programme and is often used for filming. It retains carved plaster balconies on twisted cast iron columns and a stage at an apsidal end. This is a magical place but unfortunately it cannot remain as it is. Every improvement takes something away from its dilapidated charm. It's tucked away in Graces Alley off Wellclose Square. [
website] [Shadwell & Wapping walk]

 

BOOKS
London Oddities by J Edward Hart
London: Sight Unseen by Snowdon
London Peculiars by Peter Ashley
Secret London by Andrew Duncan
Inside London by Joe Friedman
Spectacular Vernacular by David Long
Still Open: the guide to traditional London shops
[
Booklist]


london-footprints.co.uk 2007

[articles list]