[Baths & Sports] [Cafes] [Churches etc] [Cinemas] [Factories] [Garages] [Hotels] [Houses] [Offices] [Public Buildings] [Pubs] [Shops] [Stations] [Theatres]
Art Deco flourished through the 20s & 30s impelled by the Paris Exhibition of 1925 and was applied to all forms including architecture. Influences included Cubism (with zigzags & geometricals), Ancient Egypt (following the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun by Howard Carter & Lord Carnaervon in 1922) and Aztec & Mayan art (from South America & Mexico). It was a machine age style which utilised the innovations of the times such as plastics, chrome & aluminium. At a time of economic depression and the approach of war there was a desire for escapism. People enjoyed the pleasures of life during the 'Jazz Age'. Speed and streamlining became important especially in the new modes of travel such as the first commercial flights, trains such as the Orient Express and ocean-going liners.
This page lists some of the Art Deco buildings to be found in London. It is compiled from the Time Out Deco 100 guide but with additions from other sources, recommendations and personal knowledge. I have included a couple of buildings which post-date the period but replicate Art Deco styling. If you know of any good examples that I have not listed I would be interested to hear about them (dates and architects would be useful). Please use my Guestbook. An Art Deco trail around some of the buildings is available [click here]
The buildings listed here plus others have been plotted on a Google Map - thanks to JaneZ [click here]
There is a Gallery section with photos of some of the buildings featured in this listing (marked pix)
According to 'Pevsner' the
following inter-war factories remain on the Great West Road.
Henley's Garage 1937 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners
Simmonds Aerocessories 1936 by George Warren and 1938-42 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Glaxo Smithcline?)
Macleans 1932 by F E Simkins (now Rank Audiovisual)
Trico 1931 incorporating Thompson & Norris 1932-7 by Robert Sharp
Currys 1935 by FE Simkins (now BMW)
Pyrene 1930 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Westlink House)
Coty 1932 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners (now Softsel Computers)
Gilletes 1937 by Sir Banister Fletcher
Others including Firestone 1928-9 by Wallis Gilbert & Partners were demolished in the 1980s. Remnants at the Museum of London.
Road, Bermondsey SE1
A factory was established to process seal fur in 1869 but only the entrance remains from this. The newer white building on the site was designed by Wallis Gilbert. It was bombed twice in WWII.
Battersea Power Station Kirtling Street SW8
Designed by Giles Gilbert Scott and completed in 1934 this building is currently derelict.
Carreras Cigarette Factory (pix) Hampstead Road NW1
Designed by M E & O H Collins with A G Porri in 1928 it was inspired by Tutankhamen's Tomb and has two 8' black cats above the entrance. It is now offices known as Greater London House.
Dylon Worsley Bridge Road BR3
Factory of the 1930s for manufacture of dyes. Locally listed
Hoover Western Avenue Middx UB6
Designed by Wallis Gilbert & Partners in 1931-5 in an Egyptian style with vibrant colours and an impressive entrance. The front offices have been restored for Gallaghers and the rear converted to a Tesco supermarket. The former canteen added in 1938-9 has a green marble tiled washroom. [more info] [extra pix]
OXO (pix) Tower Bargehouse Street SE1
The tower of this 1928 building by Albert Moore was retained when it was redeveloped as shops, restaurants & flats in 1996. The illuminated windows got round restrictions on lighted advertising.
The Spitfire Works Hatton Street/Penfold Street NW8
This 97,00 sq ft 1930s industrial building made and assembled parts for WWII fighter planes. It was re-designed by Terry Farrell in 1988 providing light industrial units and offices, including his architectural practice. The two streets have different Art Deco styled frontages.
Yardleys (box factory) (pix) Stratford High Street E15
The cream faced building was designed by Higgins & Thomerson in 1937. It depicts street sellers of lavender (a famous product).
Avis Garage 8
Balderton Street W1
Designed by Wimperis & Simpson in 1926 with a semi-classical facade. Previously known as Macy's Garage. It has a carwash and turntable inside.
Bluebird Garage (pix) Kings Road SW3
This was built in 1924 to the designs of Robert Sharp with reinforced concrete and steel faced in white faience. It had a ground floor display area, workshops and space for 300 cars. There were waiting rooms for chauffeurs, ladies and owner drivers. Now owned by Conran it includes a shop and restaurant
Chelsea Cars Armoury Way SW18
This tiled building occupies a corner site with a feature clock.
Daimler Car Hire Garage (pix) Herbrand Street WC1
Designed by Wallis Gilbert and Partners in 1931. It is now offices for McCann-Ericksson having previously served a a taxi garage.
Lex Garage Brewer Street W1
Designed by J J Joass in 1928-9 it once had separate rooms for chauffeurs and changing rooms for ladies. The four storey building, in a style described by Pevsner as Byzantine-cum-Deco, has a glass ceiling on the third floor. Subsequently owned by NCP it survived attempts to redevelop the site in 2002.
Olympic Garage Maclise Road W14
One of the first multi-storey car parks in the country designed by Joseph Emberton in 1936.
Baker Street W1
Designed by J J Joass in the 1920s. This is the headquarters of Abbey, formerly Abbey National and includes the famous fictional address of Sherlock Holmes (221B). The landmark tower was shored up whilst the buildings were rebuilt around it!
Adelaide House King William Street EC4
Designed by Sir John Burnet Tait & Partners in 1920- 25.
The Adelphi Adelphi Terrace WC2
The original Adelphi was a riverside development by the Adam brothers with Royal Terrace as its centre piece. This was demolished in 1936-8 and replaced with the current building by Colcutt & Hemp. It has decorative metalwork and zodiacal symbols in Portland Stone.
Artillery House Artillery Row SW1
Designed by Maurice Webb in 1930. Large tiled frontage with shops at street level
Broadcasting House Portland Place W1
Designed by Val Myer & Watson-Hart in 1932 with sculptures by Eric Gill & Vernon Hill. It includes a restored Radio Theatre in Art Deco style. [extra pix]
Daily Express (pix) 133 Fleet Street EC4
Built in 1932 with a splendid interior by Robert Atkinson and 'Empire' metal relief panels by Eric Aumonier. The exterior of shiny black Vitrolite and glass is by Sir Owen Williams. It originally incorporated the printing plant but is now the offices of Goldman Sachs International. [extra pix]
Daily Telegraph (pix) 120 Fleet Street EC4
Designed by Elcock and Sutcliffe with Thomas Tait in 1928. The Mercuries over the entrance were sculptured by A Oakley. It originally incorporated the printing plant but is now the offices of Goldman Sachs International.
J C Decaux Great West Road, Brentford
This Grade II listed former Curry factory of 1936 was a Foster & Partners project of 1997-2000. The front office building was restored and a new warehouse built behind to replace the former factory.
Freemasons' Hall 60 Great Queen Street WC2
This third Hall was built in 1927-33 to the designs of H V Ashley & F Winton Newman. It serves as a ceremonial and administrative headquarters with a temple, library & museum on the first floor which can be visited. website
Gainsborough House 81 Oxford Street W1
Large building with glazed grey facing and pink decorations. Offices with shops at ground level. Designed by S Gordon Jeeves and Herbert A Welch in 1929.
Ibex House 42-7 Minories EC3
This 9 floor block was built in 1937 to the designs of Fuller, Hall and Foulsham. It features curved windows and walls of beige faience.
Ideal House Great Marlborough Street W1
Designed as a showroom for the American Radiator Company by Raymond Hood in 1928-9 with additions by Gordon Jeeves in 1935. It has a black granite facade and Moorish, Mexican & Persian inspired features. Now known as Palladium House. Occupied by Caffe Uno and Garfunkels at ground level.
Imperial Airways Building (pix) 157-197 Buckingham Palace Road SW1
Designed by Albert Lakeman in 1939 with a pair of winged figures over the entrance by E R Broadbent. It was used by BOAC & British Airways but now houses the National Audit Office.
Mercury House 124 Theobalds Road WC1
Designed as the HQ of Cable & Wireless by Gordon Jeeves, also responsible for Dolphin Square and the Ideal (Palladium) House extension. Whilst not of the period (it was opened in 1955) this was obviously inspired by earlier Art Deco buildings particularly Holden's 55 Broadway for London Underground. Both feature ornamental carvings, in the case of Cable & Wireless relievo plaques above the transoms of the god Mercury by Arthur Cousins.
Nigerian High Commision 56-7 Fleet Street EC4
The former premises of the Glasgow Herald were designed by Percy Tubbs, Son & Duncans in 1927. Pevsner describes them as having 'Neo-Grec decoration reminiscent of the Paris Exhibition of 1925'.
RIBA 66 Portland Place W1
Designed by Grey Wornum in 1933-4 after the Swedish style its spacious interior retains many original features and fittings including etched glass. The cast bronze doors featuring 'London's Rivers and Buildings' are by James Woodford. website
Senate House Malet Street WC1
This stepped Portland Stone building of 1933-7 with a landmark tower houses University of London's administration and has lavish interiors by Charles Holden. It was damaged in WWII.
Shell Mex House 80 Strand WC2
This was built on the site of the Cecil Hotel for Shell Mex in 1930. It was designed by Messrs Joseph with a riverside frontage featuring a prominent clock and 8 sculptured figures. It was sold in 2007.
St Olaf House Tooley Street SE1
Designed by H S Goodhart-Rendel for the Hays Wharf Company in 1928-32 as offices & warehousing. The impressive Thames side frontage has decorations by Frank Dobson framing the board & common rooms. The Tooley Street facade has turrets & angled walls and interior features include geometric patterning
The Strand Building (pix) Urswick Road, Hackney E9
Built as 'Hackney Electricity Demonstration Halls & Offices' in 1925 designed by J A Bowden. Converted in 1995 into flats featuring a roof garden. The ground floor formerly used as a furniture shop awaits redevelopment. [photos]
Summit House 12 Red Lion Square
Built for Austin Reed in 1925 by Westwood & Emberton. Glazed yellow tiles with lotus leaf railings and two door panels by Percy Metcalfe.
Tournament House London Street W2
The former Arrivals Side Offices of the Great Western Railway renamed in 1987. The steel framed and clad building was designed in 1935 by P E Culverhouse.
Unilever New Bridge Street EC4
Designed by J Lomax-Simpson in 1930-1. It has been largely gutted by redevelopment although the exterior remains intact.
Victoria House Southampton Row WC1
This large building was built for the Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society in 1922-32 by Charles William Long. It has a neo-classical facade but a splendid Art Deco ballroom in the basement, due to become a restaurant. The Grade II building has been redeveloped by Garbe to a design by Will Alsop. website
Civic Centre Wood
Lane, Dagenham RM10
Designed by E Berry Webber in 1936 this Grade II listed building is of mulberry stock brick with a Portand Stone entrance and portico. The recently refurbished interior has Art Deco ceilings and marble stairs and foyer.
Greenwich Town Hall (pix) Royal Hill SE10
Designed by Ewart Culpin & Son in 1939 the interior has 'ocean liner' features and is inspired by Dutch & Scandanavian buildings. No longer a town hall it is used by Greenwich Dance Agency.
Hackney Town Hall Mare Street, Hackney E8
Built 1934-6 to replace a Victorian building and set back from the road. The competition for its design was won by Lanchester and Lodge. It retains original light fittings, panelling, floor surfaces and doors. [extra pix]
Hornsey Town Hall The Broadway N8
Designed by Reginald Uren in 1933. It has a tall brick tower and is decorated with carved reliefs, etched glass, heraldic emblems & bronze fittings. Flanking blocks were added in 1935 & 1937-9 as gas & electricity showrooms. It has not been used as a town hall since 1965 but retains its rich mayor's parlour.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Keppel Street WC1
The building of 1929 by P Morley Horder and Verner O Rees features a decorated facade. It was damaged in WWII. [extra pix]
Grade II listed exhibition hall designed by Joseph Emberton in 1928.
Royal Horticultural Hall (pix) Greycoat Street SW1
This new hall for the Royal Horticultural Society was designed by Howard Robertson & Murray Easton in 1927-8.
Shirley Library Wickham Road/Hartland Way, Shirley
Features the 'sunburst' motif over the entrance.
55 Broadway SW1
This provides offices for Transport for London (formerly London Underground). A stepped cruciform building in Portland Stone designed by Charles Holden in 1927-9 with sculptures by Jacob Epstein, Eric Gill, Henry Moore & others. There is some information on these in the shopping arcade which runs through the building. This also provides an entrance to St James's Park tube station.
Arnos Grove Bowes Road N11 (Piccadilly Line)
Designed in 1933 by Charles Holden this has a drum shaped ticket hall. The original ticket booth has been restored.
Chiswick Park tube station
Grade II listed by Charles Holden 1932.
Croydon Airport Colston Avenue Surrey
This opened in 1920 and was the world's first international airport. The terminal building and control tower remain and are open to visitors on the first Sunday of the month 11-4.
East Finchley Great North Road N2 (Northern Line)
Outside this station is a sculptured archer by Eric Aumonier.
Hounslow West Bath Road TW4
The heptagonal ticket hall of 1931 has a Deco chandelier. The exterior is of grey granite and Portland Stone.
Osterley (pix) Great West Road TW7 (Piccadilly Line)
This was designed by Charles Holden and SA Heaps in 1934. It has a 70' tower with Art Deco lighting.
Park Royal Western Avenue W3
This building of 1936 has a brick tower and a glazed circular ticket hall.
Richmond Station (pix) Kew Road, Richmond
Rebuilt in 1937 its facade includes a square clock
Southgate N14 (Piccadilly Line)
This was designed by Charles Holden in 1933. It has a circular ticket office with a curved arcade of shops and bus station and a wide escalator hall with bronze uplighters.
Designed 1937-8 by JR Scott for Southern Railways. Central booking office and asymmetrical clock tower.
Victoria Coach Station (pix) Buckingham Palace Road SW1
Designed by Wallis Gilbert & Partners in 1932 and refurbished in recent years.
Brook Street W1
This was restored by Basil Ionides in the 1920s and Oswald Milne in 1929-30. Many rooms and public areas maintain the Art Deco style.
Dorchester 53 Park Lane W1
Designed by Owen Williams in 1931 it retains some of its Deco details by W Curtis Green.
Lansdowne Club 9 Fitzmaurice Place, Berkeley Square W1
A Robert Adam house partly demolished in 1931 and reconstructed in Art Deco style by Holloway & White in 1934-5.
Park Lane Hotel Piccadilly W1
Designed by Kenneth Anns & Henry Tanner in 1927 it has a spectacular Art Deco hall and basement ballroom. There are also some original marble bathrooms and fireplaces.
Savoy (pictured above) Strand WC2
The public rooms were redecorated by Basil Ionides in 1926-9 and a number of rooms have their original black tiled bathrooms. Exterior features were designed by Easton and Robertson in 1929-30 including the stainless steel canopy surmounted by a statue of Count Peter.
Strand Palace Hotel Strand WC2
There are basements remnants of an Art Deco entrance of 1929-30 by F J Wills.
above) Strand WC2
The fourth & present building opened in 1930 designed by Ernest Schaufelberg was refurbished in 1993.
Apollo Victoria 17 Wilton Road SW1
Originally built as a cinema in 1930 it converted to a theatre in 1979. Designed by Ernest Wamsley Lewis & W E Trent with marine motifs.
Broadway Rushey Green Catford SE6
Built as Lewisham (variety) Theatre in 1932 by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope. It has undergone a major refurbishment to include a new Art Deco cafe bar.
Cambridge Earlham Street WC2
A large theatre by Wimperis, Simpson & Guthrie opened in 1930. Art Deco features include a multilayered ceiling with concealed lighting in the foyer and triangular patterning. There is a frieze of naked athletes beneath the dome and collages of Day & Night in the walls above the boxes.
Dominion Tottenham Court Road W1
Designed by W & T R Milburn and opened in 1929 on the site of a brewery. The mirrored lobby has marbled & silvered stairways and original light fittings. From the ocean liner style foyer double staircases lead to the circle.
Duchess Catherine Street WC2
Designed by Ewen Barr in 1929 with a neo-Tudor exterior. Inside are a curved glass box office, panels with relief sculpture, Art Deco lampshades and veneer panelling.
Phoenix Charing Cross Road WC2
Neo-classical facade by Gilbert Scott with 1930s entrance. The interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky includes mirrors and patterned ceilings.
Prince Edward Old Compton Street W1
This has an Art Deco interior of 1929-30 by Marc-Henri and Gaston Laverdet with an unusual circular foyer. It was restored for Cameron Mackintosh in 1993.
Prince of Wales Coventry Street
This was rebuilt to the designs of Robert Cromie in 1937 and has a disinctive corner tower. It has recently been refurbished and now has attractive foyers and bars with Art Deco styling. [website]
Savoy Strand WC2
Redecorated by Basil Ionides in 1929 in an American look it was destroyed by fire in 1990 but has been faithfully restored to its original splendour. There are aluminium leaf finishes and a five colour seating scheme. The bars featured nickel plated balustrades.
Whitehall Whitehall SW1
Designed by Edward A Stone in 1930 as a cinema it has a black and silver interior by Marc Henri & Gaston Laverdet with a stalls bar based on a liner's saloon. The listed building has been granted a 4 year reversible conversion into Trafalgar Studios 1 (370 seats) and 2 (100 seats). The circle front has been removed and is stored on site whilst some of the Art Deco features front of house have been temporarily concealed.
Apollo Victoria see
Astoria Brixton 211 Stockwell Road SW9
Designed by E A Stone with decoration by Marc Henri the auditorium has starlit sky and Italian garden & palace paintings.
Astoria Finsbury Park Seven Sisters Road N4
Designed in 1930 by E A Stone. The interior by Marc Henri has an Arabian Nights and Moorish theme. Now the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God.
Carlton 161-9 Essex Road N10
Designed by George Coles in 1930 in Egyptian and Aztec styles it is now a Mecca Bingo Hall.
Coronet Elephant & Castle SE1
Dates from the 19th century and was known to Charlie Chaplin. It has recently been restored to its 1920s Art Deco glory as a nightclub.
Coronet Holloway Road
Designed in 1940 by William Glenn as the Savoy Cinema. It became an ABC in 1962 and the Coronet in 1979. The last film was shown in 1983 and since 1996 it has been a Wetherspoons pub. A number of features have been retained.
Coronet (pictured in header) John Wilson Street, Woolwich SE18
Built in 1937 to the designs of George Coles it now serves a a church
Forum 9-17 Highgate Road NW5
This was designed by J S Beard & W R Bennett in 1934 and aquired by ABC in 1935. The first floor housed a tea room and dance hall. It was a cinema until 1970 subsequently becoming a bingo hall, dance hall then live music venue. It has a glazed frontage with vertical features.
Gaumont Palace (pix) 39 Kings Road Chelsea SW3
Designed by William E Trent and Ernest F Tully. Opened in 1934 but partly converted to a store in 1972 although it retained 739 seats. Faced with Comedy/Tragedy medallions plus one to William Friese-Greene, inventor of celluloid film. Now a Habitat store.
Granada Tooting 50 Mitcham Road SW17
The Italianate front of white stone was designed by Cecil Masey in 1931. The interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky has a foyer in the style of a baronial hall and an auditorium of Venetian Gothic design. It is now a Gala Bingo Hall.
Granada 186 Powis Street Woolwich SE18
Designed in 1937 by Cecil Masey & Reginald Uren with a fantastic interior by Theodore Komisarjevsky. It was converted to the Gala Bingo Club in the 1960s.
Odeon (pix) High Street Beckenham Kent
Designed by William Cromie in 1930. Renovated with stained glass and Art Deco mouldings. Decorative panels and metalwork in Screen 5.
Odeon Leicester Square WC2
Designed by Andrew Mather in 1937 it has a black glossy granite frontage and a 90' tower with neon lighting.
Odeon Muswell Hill Fortis Green Road N10
Designed by George Cole in 1936 it retains its original decor despite conversion to 3 screens in 1974. .
Odeon (pix) Richmond Hill
Designed by Leathart & Granger with Egyptian style decorations on exterior
Phoenix 52 High Road East Finchley N2
The 1938 Art Deco interior has illuminated wall reliefs by Eugene Mollo & Michael Egan.
Regal 262 Camberwell Road SE5
This building of 1940 by Leslie Kemp which is in use as a bingo club has been recently redecorated.
Regal 233 High Street, Uxbridge UB8
Designed by E Norman Bailey in 1931 with Egyptian style facade and lavish interior with Chinese influences. The Compton organ is still playable. Now functions as Discotheque Royale.
State Kilburn High Road NW6
Designed by George Coles in 1937 its huge auditorium seated over 4000. It had a lavish interior in Renaissance style with a Wurlitzer Organ (still in use). It was modified in 1960 & 1975 and now serves as a church. Many of its original features are intact including its prominent tower.
Troxy Commercial Road E1
Built on the site of the Commercial Brewery it was designed by George Coles has a geometric frontage of cream faience tiles. The 3520 seat venue opened in 1933 with 'King Kong' and closed in 1960 with 'The Siege of Sydney Street'. It became the London Opera Centre then a Mecca bingo hall but in 2006 opened as a banqueting venue. It is Grade II listed and has a lovely colourful interior.
Warner Village Cranbourne Street/Leicester Square WC2
Designed by Edward A Stone and TR Somerford in 1938. Two marble panels by Bainbridge Copnall represent Sight & Sound.
The Circle Cafe in
the Broadway Theatre, Catford SE6
Built as Lewisham (variety) Theatre in 1932 by Bradshaw, Gass & Hope. It has undergone a major refurbishment to include a new Art Deco cafe bar (pix).
Pelliccis 332 Bethnal Green Road E2
Grade II listed building with yellow Vitrolite facade and marquetry panelled interior by Achille Capocci.
Regency Cafe (pix) 17-19 Regency Street SW1
This retains its black tiled exterior with Gill typeface logo. A favourite with taxi drivers!
S & M Cafe 4-6 Essex Road N1
This building, formerly Alfredos established in 1920, features steel, chrome, Formica & Vitrolite.
Kensington High Street W8
Designed by Bernard George and built in three phases between 1927 and 1958. The steel framed building has two glass towers and ornamented stonework.
Bonhams Auctioneers (pix) Woodstock Street W1
Designed by Fuller Hall & Foulsham in 1938 with polychrome faience decoration.
Burtons 9-13 Deptford Broadway SE8
Burtons (pix) 13-14 Nelson Road Greenwich SE10
Built in 1932 its decorations include elephant's heads. It is now Cafe Sol.
Burtons Lewisham High Street SE13
1 Crown Hill Croydon
This building is clad in cream & black tiles with a curved plan and classical details.
Derry & Toms (now BHS & M&S) Kensington High Street W8
Designed by Bernard George in 1933. Features include cast aluminium frieze panels by Walter Gilbert and Portland Stone bas reliefs 'Labour & Technology' by CJ Mabey.
Fox 118 London Wall
Designed by E Pollard & Co in 1937 with a Vitrolite facade and non-reflective glass.
Heals 197-9 Tottenham Court Road W1
The southern extension to the 1916 building was designed by Sir Edward Maufe in 1938 and features decorative panels.
House of Fraser 308-318 Oxford Street W1
The former DH Evans premises by Louis Blanc were built in a streamlined German style in 1935-7. It was the first London store with escalators throughout and had a fifth floor restaurant seating 1000.
Marks & Spencer Oxford Street
Known as the Pantheon it was designed by Robert Lutyens in 1938 and features black granite. Grade II listed.
H E Olby 295-313 Lewisham High Street SE13
Stone facade with small paned metal windows, a parpeted roofline with decorative brackets and a flagpole. The business name is in tilework along the front of the building.
RACS (pix) Lewisham High Street SE13
Built as Tower House in 1933 it has a bas relief of trains, ships & a lorry.
Simpsons 202 Piccadilly W1
Designed as a menswear store by Joseph Emberton in 1936 with logotype by Eric Gill. It is now a Waterstone's Bookshop.
T M Sutton Ltd 156-8 Victoria Street SW1
Built in 1935 (dated on parapet) the upper storeys of this jewellers/pawnbrokers feature banded windows and fluted columns.
Tudor Park Estate Agents 10 Central Parade, Penge SE20
Corner premises with much chrome work and geometric patterned door.
Woolworths Lewisham High Street SE13
Now a Superdrug store
Opened in 1937 it retains 3 panelled rooms with original bar and fireplaces.
Churchill Arms 119 Kensington Church Street W8
Features from a 1930s refit survive including an Art Deco fender.
Duke of York 7 Roger Street WC1
Original features include Art Deco buff, red & black lino flooring
The Famous Royal Oak 73 St James's Lane N10
The Fountain 125 West Green Road N15
Fox & Grapes 9 Camp Road, Wimbledon SW19
The saloon lounge was formerly stabling, remodelled in the 1920s.
Herne Tavern 2 Forest Hill Road SE22
An Italianate Victorian pub refitted and extended in the 1930s it retains its 30's layout and fittings including fireplaces and tiled spittoons.
Royal Albert (pictured above) Westow Hill SE19
Tiled frontage with stained glass windows.
Windermere Windermere Avenue, South Kenton
A red brick, Dutch gabled pub of c1938 with a number of original features including an advertising mirror with clock and tiled toilets. It is Grade II listed and on CAMRA's National Inventory (interiors of outstanding historical interest).
BATHS & SPORTS
Brockwell Park Lido
Herne Hill SE24
Marshall Street Leisure Centre Dufours Place W1
This was designed by A W S & K M B Cross in 1927-31 and had a barrel-vaulted ceiling and marble lined pool. At the shallow end is a fountain niche with a merchild and two dolphins.
Poplar Baths (pictured above) East India Dock Road E14
Opened in 1934 it had a vitrolite foyer and large pool but is currently derelict
Tooting Bec Lido Tooting Bec Road SW17
This 1930s pool by H J Martin is one of the largest in Europe. The blue cafe was added in 1936.
Streatham Ice Arena 386 Streatham High Road SW16
Opened in 1931 it was designed by Robert Cromie who also designed cinemas. The outside is reconstructed Portland Stone with black faience and it has an unusual interior decor. It is threatened by Tesco's redevelopment plans. [website]
Church of Christ
Scientist Sloane Terrace SW1
Originally built in 1901 it has an Art Deco interior. Re-named Cadogan Hall it now serves as a classical music venue for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Dollis Hill Synagogue 3-11 Park Side NW2
Designed by Sir E Owen in 1937 with zigzag & hexagonal features. It is now a Primary School.
First Church of Christ Scientist 54B Widmore Road Bromley
Oval vestibule and Austrain oak panelling by W Braxton Sinclaire (1928/33).
Second Church of Christ Scientist Palace Gardens Terrace, Notting Hill Gate W11
Designed by Burnet & Tait in the mid 1920s. Its features include a fine raised platform and organ screen.
St Marks Methodist Church (pictured above) 459/461 High Road Tottenham N17
Incorporated within a block with shops at street level. Although built in 1963 this has an Art Deco appearance especially the tower where the glass motif is reminicent of the OXO building.
St Saviour's Eltham Middle Park Avenue SE9
Designed by Welch, Cachemaille-Day & Lander in 1932-3 it was influenced by 1920s German Expressionism.
77 Addington Road,
West Wickham BR4
This was built for the Ideal Home exhibition in 1934 and now houses as a doctor's surgery.
Addisland Court, Addison Road W14
A smart mansion block used in the 'Poirot' TV series.
Beresford Avenue East Twickenham Middx
Houses in this conservation area have suntrap windows and Art Deco doors.
Bushey Way (Elwill Way end) Beckenham BR3
Stylish white detached houses with roof terraces built in 1934. Locally listed.
Danson Road Bexley
Ten villas designed by D C Wadhwa were built amongst the usual Jacobethan style of the area.
Dolphin Square Grosvenor Road SW1
Designed by Gordon Jeeves in 1937 with 1200 flats plus leisure facilities, shops & gardens. The complex also includes the Dolphin Square Hotel.
Dorset House Baker Street/Melcombe Street NW1
Luxury flats above shops with roof garden designed by T P Bennett and Joseph Emberton in 1935. Two bas reliefs by Eric Gill flank the entrance.
Du Cane Court Balham High Road SW17
Serviced apartments which have featured in the 'Poirot' TV series
Duncan Court Green Lanes N21
Flats in a [ shape with communal gardens. Built in 1930 with contemporary materials and Art Deco styling.
Eltham Palace (pix) Court Yard SE9
A sumptuous Art Deco house was added to the restored Great Hall of the medieval palace by Seeley & Paget for the Courtaulds in the 1930s. It is now in the care of English Heritage who have refurnished the interior and open it to the public. [website]
Florin Court (pix) Charterhouse Square EC1
This apartment block designed by Guy Morgan & Partners in 1936 is used to indicate Whitehaven Mansions, the home of Poirot in the TV series.
The Grampians, Shepherds Bush Road (near Shepherds Bush Green)
Art Deco shops flank the entrance
Grosvenor Estate (pix) Page Street SW1
Unusual chequerboard flats with shop pavilions designed by Edwin Lutyens in 1928-30 for the LCC.
50 Kensington Garden Square W2
Apartment block, including penthouses, with decorative metal balconies.
Kingsley Close NW2
Houses with sun-trap windows and chevron-patterned balconies
Landsdowne Court Purley
This has curved bays and chevron patterned windows.
Pullman Court Streatham Hill SW2
A pioneering modern movement development of 1936 by Frederick Gibberd. Residents website
Russell Court Woburn Place WC1
A block of 500 flats designed by Lieutenant Colonel George Val Myer in 1937.
Selwyn Court 16-34 Blackheath Village SE3
This block of flats with shops at ground level was built after 1936 on the site of the Blackheath Proprietary School. Objections led to the formation of the Blackheath Society but this was unable to stop the development.
Sloane Street SW1
Multi storey flats above shop premises (entrance at number 50)
The V&A and Museum of London shops have books on Art Deco. Another good source is the RIBA bookshop.
'Art Deco 1910-1939' V&A publication
'Art Deco London' by Colin Hines & Keith Cheetham website
'London Art Deco' by Arnold Schwartzman
'The Buildings of England' by Nikolaus Pevsner & Bridget Cherry (London is covered in several volumes)
'The Making of Modern London 1914-1939' by Gavin Weightman & Steve Humphries
'The 1930s House Explained' by Trevor Yorke (Countryside Books)
'Old Cinemas' Shire Album 357 by Allen Eyles covers the UK but includes lots of London venues
There is a Cinema Theatre Association (not specifically Art Deco) website
An online gallery with lots of cinema photos has been compiled (not specifically Art Deco) [website]
Photographs held by the NMR include the Maltby Collection from the 1930s of Odeon Cinemas in Greater London website
The Local Studies section of Hounslow Library has some photographs of factories on the Great West Road. Tel 0845 456 2800.
Find out more about transport aspects at the LT Museum in Covent Garden. website
The Geffrye Museum has room displays of the period and other resources website
The Twentieth Century Society campaigns to preserve the best buildings built after 1914 (throughout the UK). They are based at 70 Cowcross Street EC1 Tel 020 7250 3871 website
Look out for buildings open for London Open House in mid September website Use the search facility to look for inter-war buildings
Some websites about architecture can be found on my links page
An Art Deco trail around some of the buildings is available [click here]
The V&A have online information about some Art Deco buildings in London website
There is a cinema and former factory (now offices) in Letchworth town centre. The Tesco store in nearby Baldock is another former factory in Art Deco style.
© london-footprints.co.uk 2011